about us

Did You Know?

  1. The South Church dates back to 1843.

It was born out of the disruption and was a Free Church, and the first communion was held on 25th June 1843.

  1. The first roll was 173 members.
  2. The first minister was Rev. George Phillips

He took up post in November 1843.

  1. From 1846-1873 the South Church ran a Free Church School in Robert Street, at the corner of Mary Street.
  2. The current Church building on Cameron Street was built and dedicated in April 1869.

Being a Free Church there was no organ in the church building. The organ was purchased from st. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Montrose at a cost of £230.

  1. In 1929 the South Church became a Church of Scotland.
  2. The Women’s Guild was formed in 1932.
  3. In 1941 the Church Hall was requisitioned by the military.
  4. In 1969 the centenary was celebrated.
  5. In 2019 the South Church building is celebrating 150 years.




This is a very enthusiastic group who meet weekly on a Thursday afternoon in the South Church Conservatory and Hall.   People from the churches in Stonehaven and surrounding area as well as non members come along and enjoy an afternoon of fun and friendship.


Ideas, talents and skills are shared when the group come together to knit, sew, crochet and embroider as well as creating a selection of cards for a variety of occasions.


Projects that have been undertaken by this group include the creation of wall hangings which are displayed in the Church and the

Hall as well as a poppy collage which was made for Remembrance events.   ‘Thinking of You’ cards are made for distribution to those in need.


Many items are gifted to various charities and these have included hats, jackets and blankets for premature babies, prayer shawls, skirts for children in Malawi, calming muffs, hats, scarves, gloves, socks and blankets for Blythwood as well as Trauma Teddies.



The craft group also supports church coffee mornings and sales where their talents are visible on the craft stall and this is appreciated by those in attendance.


As well as having ‘busy hands’, there is always time for friendship, chat, laughter and a welcome cuppa.

To find out more, please contact the Session Clerk, Mr Gordon Edgar

The Kilwhang Ringers 


The Kilwhang Ringers continue to make music on handbells, with their home base now in St. Bridget’s Hall. Rehearsals are on Mondays during Term Time from 10am until 12noon.

We number fifteen ringers and there is always room for new people to join us. You do not have to read music, but it is an advantage to do so. Anyone can come along and try out hand bell ringing.

Our travels this past year have taken us to Montrose, Portlethen, Muchalls and latterly to Banchory where we played in a concert commemorating one hundred years since Armistice, when the First World War ended. We have also entertained locally around Stonehaven.

One of the highlights of our year is the Christingle Service on Christmas Eve when we ring alternately at Dunnottar and South Churches.

For enquiries please contact the Secretary at Dunnottar Church: secretary.dunnottarchurch@outlook.com


We have received two eco awards, the second as part of our linkage, and are constantly mindful of our carbon footprint. We are aiming to achieve the third award and as well as reducing energy consumption and waste, have been upgrading our recycling to include mobile phones and other electronic devices.

Printer Printable Version